Prayers and knowledge are your best weapons! I just shared this message with my family members. I am putting this on the web for everyone else.
- Wash your hands thoroughly. Read “Trying to ward off the coronavirus? What products help and what may be a waste of money“. Learn how to wash your hands properly. Watch “The Safe Hands Challenge” video that is created by WHO.
- Clean the surfaces at home properly. Read “These Common Household Products Can Destroy the Novel Coronavirus”.
- Use a mask to block spit and airborne viruses. Just like one of my therapists, some people spit while talking. I have read somewhere that N95 masks are not good enough. Instead, P2 masks are recommended. Read “PSA: P2 Masks Used For Bushfire Smoke Could Work Against Coronavirus Too”. Be aware of fake masks. Amazon has a policy that allows fake products to be removed from shelves so it is best to purchase from Amazon.
- Reality is that there are not enough masks and thus some people are making masks at home. This video teaches how to make masks from tissue paper. I think you can also cover your face with scarves and later wash these scarves in bleach to deactivate any germs. You just need to block the spit and airborne germs, I think! Some experts believe that Coronavirus is airborne; but, the rest are teaching us that masks are not really going to help. The real trick is in washing hands often. And the second trick is to realize that airborne viruses can get in from the open sides of your face mask so it makes sense to stay as far away as possible from people, esp. from those who are coughing or sneezing while wearing these masks (Social Distancing).
- Keep your immune system boosted. I have been eating garlic to do this. See this list of affordable immune booster foods. Boosting your immune system is a great idea because if your body has enough time, it would be able to create antibodies to protect you. Read “15 Foods That Boost the Immune System”.
- Wear gloves especially if you are using buses or usually working or walking in the public setting. Some countries are disinfecting buses and public places with some sort of liquid. There are videos about this online. I do not know if Canada is doing this. So buy your own gloves. Keep your hands covered and uncover your hands if you have to touch your face. You may choose to wash and then soak your gloves in soap and water to remove the germs or throw away used gloves. Be aware of cross-contamination when you are using gloves. Check out this video where a nurse shows you what cross-contamination means.
- Some people are planning to use herbs to fight Coronavirus. Here is a list of relevant herbs. Read “Coronavirus Alternative Treatments: Can Traditional Chinese Medicine and Herbs Help?”
- Do not buy beverages from any place that does not have the following sign up, “We are not refilling reusables due to COVID-19 outbreak”. This sign is up at the Canadian Starbucks cafes. Basically, if they are refilling reusables, then an infected reusable could have touched the dispensing nozzle so the virus can get transmitted even if they fill a recyclable cup.
- Buy Alcohol wipes (concentration of 60% or more) because alcohol deactivates this virus. Read “Why 70 Percent Alcohol Disinfects Better Than 91 Percent, According to a Microbiologist”.
- Antibacterial gels won’t kill the virus but there are some similar gels online that do attack viruses. Shop and browse online to find these. Looking up antibacterial gels should retrieve info on these other kind of gels. Antibacterial gels are used to manage secondary bacterial infections.
- Canadians are overreacting by buying supplies; if you did not stock properly, you might get harmed too. Sit with your family and/or friends to figure out how to stock. Stock necessary items like paper towels, eggs, bread, soap, and antibacterial sanitizers (these cannot kill the virus; it says “antibacterial”). Some stores have run out of supplies so you need to do a real stakeout and keep an eye on the stores with the help of your family/friends. Canadian officials are advising to shop only two weeks before supplies run out; Canadian food supply is still strong. Read “Coronavirus: Reports of lengthy lines, shelves running low at several Ontario grocery stores”.
- Its safer and thus allowed to pray at home. If you are praying in a public setting for some reason, then practice Social Distancing (#SocialDistancing) and stay far away from other people while praying.
- Know how to quarantine yourself properly. Check out this guide by One Medical.
Added Dec 2020
- Cut your nails because germs including COVID19 virus can get stuck under your nails. Read “How To Properly Cut And Clean Nails To Fight Against Germs“.
- COVID19 can spread through the fecal route. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after defecating; and, please wash yourself after defecating. This method of washing is taught in Islam. You have to use a water pitcher (called Lota) to clean yourself; do not use tissue to clean yourself because it does not necessarily clean fully. Read “A Muslim’s Guide to Anal Hygiene“.
Kindly spend wisely so that you won’t go bankrupt. There is a warning about this too. Read Coronavirus will bankrupt more people than it kills — and that’s the real global emergency.
I agree that some of the information provided here is contradictory in nature. For example, some experts are recommending P2 masks because these masks prevent particles that are sized like Coronavirus to travel through; and, other experts are saying that masks are not required for protection. I strongly recommend you read all of this and then do what you feel is best.
Copyright © by Arzoo Zaheer. All Rights Reserved.